©2018 by Edwards Bailey Limited. Proudly created with Wix.com

    Our Guide to Corporation Tax Rates

    If you have a Limited Company it is essential to have a basic understanding of the tax the business will pay so you can be prepared for that inevitable tax bill.

    At present the Corporation Tax rate for a Limited Company is 19% of the businesses taxable profits, which at the date of this article are expected to decrease to 17% from 1 April 2020.

    Taxable Profits

    To work out the tax liability of a company you need to charge the company's taxable profits by the Corporation Tax rate.

    The taxable profits of the company are the yearly profit after adding onto the profit expenses that are not tax deductible such as:

    - Client entertaining

    - Penalties and fines

    - Depreciation

    - Expenses that are not wholly, exclusively and necessary incurred for a company's trade

    You then need to deduct allowances such as:

    - Capital allowances

    - Annual investment allowance

    - Dividends received


    Tax rate: 19%

    Annual profit: £50,000

    Client entertaining: £500

    Penalties: £200

    Dividends received: £2,000

    Capital Expenditure: £3,000

    Based on the above the taxable profit for the company would be £45,700.

    Based on the tax rate for the 2019/2020 tax year the company's tax liability for the year would be £8,683.

    Paying Corporation Tax and Filing The Return

    The deadline for paying Corporation Tax is 9 months and 1 day after the end of the company's year end, which coincides with the deadline for filing the company accounts with Companies House.

    The deadline for filing the company's Corporation Tax return is 12 months after the end of the company's year end, so you need to pay your corporation tax prior to the deadline for filing the return.

    Failure to file your Corporation Tax Return and pay your tax liability by these deadlines will lead to penalties and interest being incurred.

    Corporation Tax Returns need to be filed in a specific format called IXBRL, so we always recommend that you use an accountant to file your return so that it is accepted by HMRC.

    If you would like assistance with your Corporation Tax return call Edwards Bailey Chartered Accountants on 01708 200675 or email us at info@edwardsbailey.co.uk.